Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Feel vs Technique

The age-old argument.
I'll start by acknowledging the incredible discipline & skill it takes to practice rudiments endlessly until you've perfected them almost in your sleep.  But, for me, pure technique for no reason leaves me empty, uninspired.

I am, and always will be, a "feel" player.  This doesn't mean I don't have technique, but the majority of my "practice" involves playing with other musicians, first & foremost.  I do warm up before a show, and I do practice rudiments, (although, truth be known, not as much or often as I probably should).

You could call me lazy.  One of my key concepts is to get the message across using the minimum number of strokes.  But I think there are drummers like that throughout Rock Music.  Bonham, for one.....  Nigel Olsson is another.  Even Steve Gadd (whose undeniable technique has been displayed on many occasions) is economical with his approach to a song.

Ringo Starr is, of course, the prime example of someone who was all about the song, and certainly not about showing off.  Were it not for that approach The Beatles would have sounded totally different.

So, I rest my case.  Keep it simple, stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment