Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Practice makes perfect?

OK, so many people ask me about practicing.
I have to admit I have never practiced as much as I think I should (especially when I was on the road: I always figured that sound check followed by a gig was enough practice).  But in the studio, I always take the time to warm up a little before.  This mostly involves stretches (using my sticks: more details at a later date), and some basic rudiments on a pad.

For me, though, the single most useful method of practice has been to play along with some favourite songs.  These days, I set iTunes to random play and hit the button.  Then I try to keep up (this can be somewhat arbitrary: in the case of Gino Vanelli's "Brother to Brother" album, for instance!).

I'm always really interested in new grooves,  feels, rhythm techniques.  For some reason I've never really been into blindingly fast drum fills and mind-blowing technical doo-dads!  But I've always been known as a "groove" player anyway.  That's where I'm happiest: in the middle of the groove, holding it down for the band.  So practicing to my iTunes really appeals to me.  Sometimes I create a play list of some new tunes I want to master.  But most of the time, I simply put it on random and try to stay in the pocket.  After all,  if you really can't keep up (or the muse is not there) you can simply hit the "forward" button and scroll on to the next song!


Mel Bay Complete Funk Drumming Book
The New Method for Afro-Cuban Drumming Book with Audio CD (Percussion)
Getting Started on Drums Featuring Tommy Igoe DVD - Setting Up / Start Playing
John Riley: The Master Drummer - How to Practice, Play and Think Like a Pro (DVD)

No comments:

Post a Comment